4A- Forming an Opportunity Belief

I believe that students on campus need more forms of eco-friendly forms of transportation, this being Bird Electric scooters. Though many students have bicycles, most utilize gas powered scooters, cars, or the RTS Bus. While these forms of transportation are convenient, owning a car is costly for students on a budget, and driving a scooter or taking the RTS bus are not environmentally friendly. Communities like FSU have implemented electric Bird Scooters stations around campus in order to promote environmental conservation as well as help students get from point A to point B. This idea stems from my hatred for traffic on University, and has always existed. Students need to be able to get around, however, most students aim to be eco-friendly.

Interview 1: Student with a gas powered scooter 
How long have you had means to get around campus? Do you have a scooter, car, bike, etc?

"I have a scooter"

Do you believe UF needs to implement a greener form of transportation that would make it easier to move around campus? i.e. Something electric?

"Yeah. Students should definitely watch out for the environment more."

Would you support the implementation of Bird Electric Scooter stations around campus?

"Definitely. I wouldn't use it but the people who have to walk everywhere would use them. Tallahassee has them and some of my friends use them."

What downsides can you think of in regards to the implementation of the Bird Electric Scooters?

"The only thing that I can think of is that maybe some students wouldn't put them back so some places would get clustered with a ton of electric scooters."

Reflection: Though the student can see the upside of the implementation of an electric scooter system, he personally would not use it and would most likely stick to using his scooter. 

Interview 2: Student with car
How long have you had means to get around campus? Do you have a scooter, car, bike, etc?

"I have a car."

Do you believe UF needs to implement a greener form of transportation that would make it easier to move around campus? i.e. Something electric?

"Sure for the kids that don't have anything to get around on."

Would you support the implementation of Bird Electric Scooter stations around campus?

"Yeah. It would make it easier to get around to the places on campus that I can't drive my car to."

What downsides can you think of in regards to the implementation of the Bird Electric Scooters?

"People I know in Tallahassee ended up stealing some and just claiming them as their own."

Refection 2: The second student interviewed also seemed indifferent to the implementation of Bird Electric Scooters as an alternative form of transportation due to the fact that he has a car. He also illuminated the fact that some students may steal the scooters. 

Interview 3: Student with no personal form of transportation
How long have you had means to get around campus? Do you have a scooter, car, bike, etc?

"Never, I don't own a scooter or a car. I usually just walk to the places I have to go."

Do you believe UF needs to implement a greener form of transportation that would make it easier to move around campus? i.e. Something electric?

"Yeah definitely. The RTS bus is kind of inconvenient to wait for, so if the transportation is faster than that I would fully support it."

Would you support the implementation of Bird Electric Scooter stations around campus?

"Of course. It'd be more convenient for me to just grab a scooter and then go to where I had to."

What downsides can you think of in regards to the implementation of the Bird Electric Scooters?

"Only one being that people will probably just steal them or break them if they're free."

Reflection 3: The group that this has the potential to influence most is the sub-group of UF students with no personal form of transportation. All three interviewees brought up the possibility of students stealing the scooters. 

Summarization: Some of my original opportunity is there still, it just resides within a sub-group of UF students who do not have personal means of transportation. I do believe that my new opportunity is more accurate because in doing the interviews I was able to "cut out the fat" and pinpoint a niche market to target. I believe that all entrepreneurs should adapt their vision in order to focus on customer wants. At the end of the day if the customer is not satisfied he or she will simply stop buying your product. 




















Comments

  1. Hi Jakob!

    I think this is a great idea. Many of our generation are very eco-friendly so I think you have great target area for consumers at UF. I wouldn’t have thought of people stealing the scooters as your interviewees have mentioned, but that is a good point. However, if you’re riding a bike or a gas scooter that chance of it being stolen is just the same. The pros to have an electric scooter is that you can get there faster than a bike and you’re not harming the environment if you’re swapping out a gas scooter. The charging stations also cover having to worry about your scooter dying. I think this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think this is a great idea on how to minimize our pollution in Gainesville! My friend had a scooter this year and I would ride it all the time. It was really easy to get around campus with and go short distances. I think implementing the electric Bird Scooters would be a success since so many people drive scooters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

22 A- Elevator Pitch No. 3

17 A- Elevator Pitch No. 2